Having lost two aunts to different types of cancers, I'd say I know firsthand that prevention is better than cure. Incidentally, did you know cervical cancer is the only preventable women's cancer?
Wikipedia gives its usual scientific explanation, but here's the plain English version by Monoxious:
Cancer doesn’t discriminate, it doesn’t affect you based on your skin colour, how rich or poor you are or even how old you are. So if you think that cancer won’t affect you or your loved ones, think again.So what can we do about it? Sign up for a pap smear & HPV vaccination, ladies.
Here are some hard facts about Cervical Cancer:
- Cervical cancer refers to cancer originating from the cervix, which is the lower part of the womb (uterus).
- It is the 6th most common cancer amongst women in Singapore.
- It’s caused by human papillomavirus (HPV).
- It can take anytime from 10-20 years to develop but before that, pre-cancer cells develop and CAN be detected by a Pap smear.
- Lifestyle habits like smoking can increase the possibility of you contracting cervical cancer up to 10 times!!!
- Cervical cancer can be treated if detected early.
Gentlemen? Get the lady you care about to go for a pap smear. It's that simple.
If you go to a polyclinic in Singapore, it's heavily subsidised for Singaporeans. (In Malaysia, Japan, and Australia it's free.)
If you need to know more, POCC (Power Over Cervical Cancer, a Singapore initiative) has launched a very informative website at http://www.pocc.sg
A little background:
Power Over Cervical Cancer is a campaign that aims to make Singapore the country with the lowest incidence of Cervical Cancer and they need your help to spread the word.
Pledge your support for this cause and protect those you care about by telling them about Cervical Cancer. Together, we have POWER Over Cervical Cancer.
Click the button below to begin!